The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is spreading globally and there have been growing instances of COVID-19 spreading in communities in British Columbia and across Canada. As a result, Canadian public health authorities have escalated measures to slow the spread of the COVID-19.
According to the federal government, coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. They can cause diseases ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases such as Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV). Some transmit easily from person to person while others do not. COVID-19 is a new disease that has not been previously identified in humans. Those with COVID-19 may have few to no symptoms. You may not know you have symptoms of COVID-19 because they are similar to a cold or flu. Symptoms may take up to 14 days to appear after exposure to COVID-19; they include fever, cough, difficulty breathing, and pneumonia in both lungs. In severe cases, infection can lead to death.
For the latest information about COVID-19
- Updates from the Community Safety and Crime Prevention Branch (March 26, 2020) – MPSSG
- Update re: COVID-19 and Service Provision (March 24, 2020) – MPSSG
- Advice for Essential Business (March 13, 2020) – Public Health Officer
- Letter to Social Service Sectors (March 18, 2020) – Public Health Officer
- Coronavirus disease (COVID-19): Outbreak update – Public Health Agency of Canada
- The latest information about COVID-19 in BC – BC Centre for Disease Control
- Joint statement on B.C.’s COVID-19 response and latest updates – BC Gov News
- BC COVID-19 Self-Assessment Tool – BC Government
- COVID19 Financial Government Support
COVID19 Resources for Housing Providers & Anti-Violence Workers
- BC Housing
- Women Shelters Canada
- Homelessness Services Association of BC
- BC Non Profit Housing Association
- Canadian Network for the Health and Housing of People Experiencing Homelessness
- National Network to End Domestic Violence
- Police Victim Services of BC
- BC First Responder’s Mental Health
- Interim Guidance to Social Service Providers for the Prevention and Control of COVID-19 in their Facilities (April 4, 2020) – BC Ministry of Health NEW!
- Access to Childcare for Essential Service Workers During COVID19 NEW!
- Using Shared Laundry Facilities During the COVID-19 Pandemic – National Collaborating Centres for Environmental Health NEW!
- COVID-19 Precautions for Multi-unit Residential Buildings – National Collaborating Centres for Environmental Health NEW!
- Promising Practices for Transitional Housing Programs Responding to a Pandemic – BC Society of Transition Houses
- Guidance for providers of services for people experiencing homelessness (in the context of COVID-19) – Government of Canada
- Infection Prevention & Control Resources for Homelessness Service Settings – City of Toronto
- Privacy Emergency Kit Sharing information during an emergency – Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada
Interim COVID-19 Guidance for Congregate Settings – NYC Health
- Staying Safe During COVID-19 – National Domestic Violence Hotline
Using Technology to Communicate with Survivors During a Public Health Crisis – Technology Safety
- How to Make Hand Sanitizer – Healthline
- Feminist Resources on the Pandemic – Centre for Feminist Foreign Policy
- Plan en cas de pandémie
- Plan de continuité des services en cas de pandémie des maisons d’aide et d’hébergement lavalloises
- Plan de continuité des services des maisons en cas de sinistre
Resources for Children & Youth
- Talking to Children & Youth about Coronavirus NEW!
- Mental Health Resources for Children and Youth NEW!
- Information and Resources to Support Parents NEW!
- Information and Resources to Support PEACE Counsellors NEW!
- Maintaining Connections and Facilitating Access for Children, Youth and Families – MCFD NEW!
- PEACE Program Home Package [Word Doc]
Resources for Indigenous Communities
- First Nations Health Authority
- Metis Nation BC
- COVID19 Resources for Indigenous Peoples – Indigenous Climate Action
- Traditional Indigenous Kinship Practices at Home: Being Child-Centered During the Pandemic – Indigenous Motherhood
- Think Indigenous – Online Indigenous Education K-8
- COVID19 Legal Resources – BC Government NEW!
- Your Existing Family Order During the Covid-19 Pandemic – YWCA Legal Education Program NEW!
- Overview of Legal Aid BC, LABC, online and remote services available in response to Covid-19 NEW!
- Recorded on Mar 18 COVID19 and Indigenous Communities – Indigenous Climate Action & Idle No More
- Recorded on Mar 18 Preparing homelessness services for coronavirus – Canadian Network for the Health and Housing of People Experiencing Homelessness
- Recorded on Mar 19 Coronavirus Outbreak Health and Safety in the Shelter Context – HSABC
- Recorded on Mar 24 Tackling Your Top Concerns About Coronavirus – HRDownloads
- Recorded on Mar 25 Coronavirus and Women’s Shelters: Planning, preparation and response to the COVID-19 pandemic – The Global Network of Women’s Shelters (GNWS) and the Asian Network of Women’s Shelters (ANWS)
- Recorded on Mar 26 Privacy Matters: Working Remotely – NNEDV
- Recorded on Apr 1 Coronavirus and Women’s Shelters: Policy perspectives on protection of victims of domestic violence during the outbreak – GNWS
- Apr 7 10:30AM COVID-19 response and emerging practices for the housing sector – ECHO
- Apr 8 6:00AM PST Using Technology to Support Victims During a Public Health Crisis – GNWS
- Apr 15 3:00PM PST COVID-19 Response – GNWS
- Apr 22 8:00AM PST Serving survivors with COVID-19 — Sharing success stories and challenges from around the world – GNWS NEW!
- Apr 29 3:00PM PST Supporting women at a distance during COVID-19: Updates from Australia and New Zealand – GNWS NEW!
- May 6 3:00PM PST Fundraising to Keep Shelter Services Going During a Public Health Crisis – GNWS NEW!