Emergency houses for women, children and youth experiencing violence are accessible throughout BC. Please click below links for houses near you. BC Housing has a full list of safe, supportive houses available 24/7 across BC and you can also find a list of all of our members in our directory.

Housing types

Transition Houses

  • Provide short- to long-term shelter (generally 30 days) and related support services to women, children, and youth who have experienced or are at risk of violence
  • Offer temporary safe shelter and support to enable women to make decisions about their future
  • Are staffed 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Second Stage Houses

  • Provide service-enhanced affordable temporary housing for women, children and youth who have recently experienced violence
  • Offer women, children and youth secure, affordable housing for 3 to 12 months, as well as support and programming that enable women and families to make decisions about their future
  • Deliver varying levels of support, but not generally staffed 24 hours a day or 7 days a week

Third Stage Houses

  • Provide supportive housing for women who have left violent relationships and who no longer need crisis service support
  • Offer independent long-term housing with lengths of tenancy from 2 to 4 years
  • Deliver varying levels of support but not staffed 24 hours a day or 7 days a week

Safe Homes

  • Community-based networks of private homes that shelter women and their children
  • Typically offer short stay placements, but can be longer if required
  • Provide outreach services in small rural communities that are often geographically far apart.

What to expect if you contact a Transition House

  • Every house has people who can listen and help you sort out your options
  • Most houses have specially trained advocates who can help with income assistance, legal services, disability services, immigration, housing, employment assistance, referrals and more
  • Transition Houses and Safe Homes offer temporary emergency shelter or a safe home
  • Second and Third Stage Housing offers longer term housing and supports for women and their children/youth
  • Some houses run support groups for women, children and youth
  • Most houses offer information about protection orders, and custody and access of children and youth
  • Most houses offer 24-hour crisis services

What to expect if you go to a Transition House

Every house is different, but usually you can expect that:

  • Houses are free; no fees are charged to stay, and most houses keep their location confidential
  • Most houses have shared kitchens, common areas, and bathrooms
  • Children are welcome at houses
  • All houses must welcome service animals. Most houses cannot accommodate pets, but will work with you to make arrangements to have your pets cared for elsewhere
  • Houses have laundry facilities and supply linens (sheets, towels, blankets)
  • Houses will supply food, toiletries, diapers, and usually some clothing

What to take if you leave home

  • Driver’s licence, Social Insurance Number (SIN) card, birth certificates (yours and your children’s)
  • Care Card, medications, medical records (yours and your children’s)
  • Marriage licence, custody and access papers, divorce papers, protection orders, peace bonds or restraining orders
  • Passport, Permanent Residence (PR) status card, Record of Landing (landing paper), immigration or refugee papers
  • Money, cheque book, debit and/or credit cards, bank book or bank statement
  • Lease, rental agreement, house deed
  • House keys, car keys
  • Address book, phone numbers

Understanding Abuse